AD

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My fondness towards Morocco was established since the time my mother used to narrate bed-time stories based on true historical events having great Mu

My fondness towards Morocco was established since the time my mother used to narrate bed-time stories based on true historical events having great Muslims as the ultimate heroes. Among these, the adventure of the very famous Commander-in-Chief of the Muslim Army, Tariq Bin Zyad was a chronicle that inspired me the most. He, along with his army, set out from Morocco to capture Spain in 711 A.D. Although his army was inadequate but their zeal and zest was simply undefeatable. At a place called Gibraltar near Spain, Tariq Bin Zyad, in a display of magnificent courage and fervor burned down his own ships, thus symbolizing human spirit at its bravest. In a memorable speech that followed, he urged his army men to fight earnestly for their cause as the possibility of returning back without achieving their aim had been completely eliminated. These words of encouragement injected new life and new blood in the soldiers of his army and they managed to generate an unparalleled example of chivalry and strength. This memorable victory actually paved the path for the arrival of the Muslims into the European continent where they successfully established their authority for many hundred years to follow. Even today, great monuments such as Mosque Qartaba and the Castle of Gharnata all remind us of the golden Muslim era of the past.

At all those times, when my companions expressed their desire to go to Europe and the States, I always longed to visit the Islamic country of Morocco. On my first sojourn to Morocco, I traveled from Tanjeer (a city in Morocco) to Gibraltar by boat and as I stepped down on this pious Muslim homeland, all my childhood memories flashed again, somewhere at the back of my mind. Still Gibraltar symbolizes the true power of a Muslim hero who stormed Europe with his courage centuries ago. Morocco and its inhabitants are so welcoming and dear to me that they occupied a special place in my heart. I developed my business there which is still successfully running all over the country. Furthermore, I was bestowed with an honorary designation of Consulate General of Morocco by the Government of Pakistan. I pay frequent visits to this Islamic homeland. Thus, Morocco has, with the passage of time, become my second home after Pakistan, where I am still performing my duties truthfully and with the best of my abilities and capacity.

I consider this a part of my duty to promote healthy and cordial relationship among the diplomats of the two countries and to ensure that trade and industry too, flourishes, consolidating the relations further. A few days back, King Muhammad VI of Morocco completed a decade after his coronation in the year 2000. The celebrations were held with vigor and exuberance and extended to all the Embassies of Morocco situated around the world. The Ambassador of Morocco added to the festivity by inviting Ambassadors of different nations, politicians and several other elite personalities to a Five Star Hotel at Islamabad. I, being the Honorary Consulate General of Morocco, also participated in the celebration and hosted a ceremony on 31st July at Karachi where the flags of both Pakistan and Morocco swaying in the air, delivered a message of eternal peace and fraternity. On this auspicious occasion, a cake with the flags of both the countries on it was also cut, further bringing the two countries closer. Their National Anthems, when played with due respect and honor created a totally beautiful ambience altogether.

It is interesting to note that Pakistan and Morocco share striking historical similarities. At the time when the young Commander-in-Chief of the Muslim army, Tariq Bin Zyad was struggling for the cause of the Muslims in Europe, another noteworthy Young Muslim conqueror, Muhammad Bin Qasim was making substantial advances in the subcontinent which later on resulted in establishing the Muslims as the Sole ruler over this vast territory. It is distressing to know that many hundreds of Pakistani visit Europe and the States each year as tourists, despite of their humiliating behavior with the Muslims most of the times. Allah-Almighty has bestowed our Muslim nations with perfect beauty and charm. Morocco, too, is a magnificent country, with its natural beauty attracting people from around the globe. We should, therefore, all work in co-operation to promote tourism and excursions in these beauty-laden areas which would guarantee a stable economy and better cordial relations among the Muslim countries of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

S